ryan-ashley anderson


*****

Thursday, May 6, 2010

frustrated!

why, oh, why, can't i think about anything other than art? sitting in class during reviews for finals, i am planning my next necklace. while reciting poetry and memorizing dates, all i can think about is taking photographs. any time i see an image--sometimes even in text books--all i see is new 'pulp' designs.

i have been passionate about writing and literature all my life, but for the first time, i haven't concentrated on grades as a form of self-evaluation. my new philosophy is this: if even just a few books i skimmed over in class impressed upon me enough to pick them up again post-graduation, then school has been good for me. if, while writing, my tense-changes are more apparent, and i'm a better critic of my own work, then school has been worth it.

for such a long time i thought school would be the key to graduating to the next step--grad school, publications, jobs....

now...it just feels like my entire life is on hold in order for me to finish. i am choking on inspiration, suffocating under the weight of all of the beads just begging for my attention.

and relationships?

psshfhhfhffh. forgedaboudit.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to think I view school as a great learning experience. Sometimes I put too much emphasis on grades and "going to the next level," but I think it has done a lot for my writing. Even if I never "use" my degree I will be glad to have learned so much. You are such an talented artist, it is good to have that kind of passion, albeit distracting. I know firsthand how academia can stifle that. Just think, one more semester and you will be done. Then you can create full time!

    ReplyDelete